In order to promote high standards of play, to help players have fun and to minimize conflict, Badminton Nanaimo has developed a number of suggested codes of conduct that member clubs can choose to share with their players. If you have comments or feedback, please post them below. You can also download this on 8.5x11 to post at your club using the link below.
Behaviour (adapted from Badminton BC’s Code of Conduct)
- Players shall maintain high standards of moral and ethical conduct, which includes self-control and responsible behavior and consideration for other’s physical and emotional well being.
- Players will treat others with respect and expect to be treated with respect in return.
- Players must uphold the standards of Fair Play and exhibit a high level of sportsmanship and team spirit.
- Players shall refrain from the use of loud, profane, insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language.
Set Up, Warm Up and Take Down
- If you are one of the first to arrive, please help set up posts, nets, etc.
- If you are the last on court at the end of the club session, assist in putting equipment away.
- Please limit warm ups to a reasonable length of time, particularly if other players are waiting.
- Cooperate with your opponent during warm up so everyone has a chance to hit each type of shot before the match begins.
- Call all faults on your side fairly and objectively. Your opponent should do the same. Treating opponents justly will most often get the same response when the situation is reversed.
- Respect your opponent’s calls.
- Wait until the play stops before walking behind, beside or between courts unless there is ample room and you are sure play will not be disturbed.
- Following the codes for behaviour above, do not call out to or heckle players while they are in a match.